[OKC JUG] July Meeting Notice: Introduction to Programming with Minecraft Mods

Jason Lee jason at steeplesoft.com
Tue Jun 30 11:29:16 PDT 2015

Greetings, Oklahoma City tech community! Do you have a son or daughter
(or niece, nephew, grandchild, super-friendly neighborhood child) who
loves Minecraft? Does said Minecraftian have an interest in learning how
to program? If so, this is your lucky day. The Oklahoma City Java User
Group would like to invite you and 0 or more of your pint-sized and
precocious progeny to our July session where we’ll be offering an
introduction to programming using Minecraft modding as the goal.

*What will we be doing?* We’re going to be getting an introduction to
various programming concepts (types, variables, loops, conditionals,
classes, etc) using the Java programming language. Having a concrete,
usable goal is always more interesting, so we’ll learn these concepts as
we develop (and RUN!) simple Minecraft mods.

*Will my /CHILD<Relationship>/ be an expert programmer or modder when
we’re done?* Probably not, but the hope is that this session will be
enough to flatten the learning curve a bit, leaving each child
well-equipped for further study, either self-directed or with you, as
well as with a taste for how fun programming can be.

*How old does you mini-me need to be?* That’s entirely up you. If you
have, say, a 6 year-old who’s comfortable with compilers and API docs,
then that’s old enough for us.

*Is there anything we need to install before we come?* There certainly
is! Our time will be limited, so it would be extremely helpful to have a
basic, working environment already set up. While you are free to use any
IDE you want, I will be using NetBeans, the Free (and TOTALLY AWESOME)
IDE from Oracle, which can be downloaded from http://netbeans.org. You
will also need a working Java environment, as well as a relatively
current copy of the Minecraft Forge plugin development kit. I’ll have
detailed instructions at the end of this email to help you set up your
environment.

*This sounds great? When and where is it?!* In a departure from our
normal schedule (which will be significant only for normal JUG
attendees), we will be meeting on Monday, July 13 at 11:30AM at
Prototek, which is located at 10th and Hudson in Oklahoma City
(https://goo.gl/maps/tD26c). You can park in the dirt lot Hudson, just
north of Park Place. Do not park ON Park Place, as I own both that and
Boardwalk, and my improvements there are guaranteed to ruin you.

*That’s right during lunch. What’s wrong with you people?* Nothing that
some free pizza can’t solve, so bring your appetite!

*What should we bring to the session?* To participate, you will
obviously need a laptop to work on, with one per laptop per child (no
government organizations/programs, please) being ideal. If you are
bringing multiple wee ones and need to share, that would be fine. If you
don’t have a laptop and just want to come listen, that will work as well. :)

*Is there anything else we need to know?* That’s about it. Come prepared
to have fun and learn. And don’t forget your questions!

We’re pretty excited about this session and hope to see LOTS of kids
come out for a fun time.

Detailed Pre-Meeting Instructions

I made that really large for two reasons: I really wanted to use that
formatting bar in Thunderbird that I’ve ignored for so long, and I
wanted to make sure you don’t miss this part. :) You *can* come and set
up your laptop at the meeting, but we won’t have time to do that as a
group, so we’ll have to keep moving while you’re setting up. If you have
to do that, that’s fine. I hope to conscript a few of the JUG leaders to
act as workshop assistants in case anyone needs help installing the
various pieces. Another issue is bandwidth: Prototek will let us use
their wifi, but regardless of their bandwidth, when two dozen people
start downloading all of the dependencies, it probably won’t be very
fast. :)

*What do you need to download then?* These three things:

 1.

    Java -
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index-jsp-138363.html.
    You will need the Java SDK, and I would suggest the latest version,
    which is currently Java SE 8u45. Download the installer appropriate
    for your platform and install it.

 2.

    NetBeans - https://netbeans.org/downloads/ - You will need the Java
    SE version. Again, get the installer appropriate for your platform
    and install it.

 3.

    Minecraft Forge -
    http://files.minecraftforge.net/maven/net/minecraftforge/forge/1.8-11.14.1.1341/forge-1.8-11.14.1.1341-src.zip
    - There are platform-specific installers, but I’d just get this zip

With those downloaded and installed, extract the zip file (using the
tool of your choice) in a directory. Mac and Linux users can do this:

|$ cd ~
$ mkdir MinecraftMods
$ cd MinecraftMods
$ unzip $PATH_TO_ZIP/forge-1.8-11.14.1.1341-src.zip|

Wherever you’ve extracted the archive, you will need to open a shell (or
command prompt) and run this command in that directory:

|$ ./gradlew setupDecompWorkspace --refresh-dependencies|

(Windows users can leave off the leading ./)

Once that is done, open up NetBeans, then click File | Open Project and
navigate to this directory. Hopefully, this directory will show up as a
Gradle project. If it does not, you will need to install the Gradle
plugin ( Go to Tools | Plugins and install "Gradle Support".) After a
few seconds, you should see the project open in the Project view, with
several nodes beneath it in the tree. To test things, click on the
project node (it should be called MinecraftMods), click Tasks, Run, and
runClient. After a few seconds, you should see Minecraft start up.
Congratulations, you should be ready to go.

*Whew! That’s kind of hard to follow!* Well, yeah. If you’re like me and
like to see pictures, you can see these same instructions on the
NetBeans blog at
https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/entry/seamless_minecraft_forge_in_netbeans.

*But I don’t like NetBeans. I like pain!* There may be some Eclipse fans
out there. If you just have to use Eclipse, you can generate the Eclipse
project files by running |gradlew eclipse|.

*NetBeans is nice and all, but I prefer to buy things. Can I use IDEA?*
Sure! Just run |gradlew idea| to generate the project files.

*Is that "all"?* Should be. Pretty simple, huh? :P If you run into
problems, try to do as much as you can before you come, and you can
either ask for help on the JUG mailing list
(http://okcjug.org/contact-us) or, worst-case scenario, wait until the
day of the JUG and get help there (though it would help to arrive early ;).

--
Jason Lee
http://cubtracker.com