[OKC JUG] Meeting Tomorrow

Jason Lee jason at steeplesoft.com
Mon Jan 9 09:50:59 PST 2017

Don't forget about our meeting tomorrow. It's going to be awesome.

If you are planning on attending, please RSVP on our new Meetup group:
https://www.meetup.com/okcjug/events/236354888/

          gRPC 101 for Java Developers

              Tuesday, January 10, 2017

      *
        11:30 AMto12:45 PM

      *

              StarSpace 46
              <https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=1141+W+Sheridan+Ave%2C+Oklahoma+City%2C+OK%2C+us>

        1141 W Sheridan Ave,Oklahoma City,OK(edit map
        <https://www.meetup.com/okcjug/events/236354888/>)

      *

        gRPC is a high performance, open source, general RPC framework
        that puts mobile and HTTP/2 first. gRPC is based on many years
        of Google's experience in building distributed systems - it is
        designed to be low latency, bandwidth and CPU efficient, to
        create massively distributed systems that span data centers, as
        well as power mobile apps, real-time communications, IoT devices
        and APIs. It's also interoperable between multiple languages.

        But beyond that fact that it's more efficient than REST, we'll
        look into how to use gRPC's streaming API, where you can
        establish server-side streaming, client-side streaming, and
        bidirectional streaming! This allows developers to build
        sophisticated real-time applications with ease.

        In addition to learning about gRPC and HTTP/2 concepts with code
        and demonstrations, we'll also deep dive into integration with
        existing build systems such as Maven and Gradle, but also
        frameworks such as Spring Boot and RxJava.

        Writing/using a Spring Boot starter to run gRPC server

        Configuring projects to generate gRPC stub code

        Integrating w/ RxJava's observable sequences, which matches very
        well with gRPC's Stream Observable constructs

        Speaker Bio:
        Ray Tsang is a Developer Advocate for the Google Cloud Platform.
        Ray had extensive hands on cross-industry enterprise systems
        integration delivery and management experiences during his time
        at Accenture, managed full stack application development,
        DevOps, and ITOps. Ray specialized in middleware, big data, and
        PaaS products during his time at Red Hat while contributing to
        open source projects, such as Infinispan. Aside from technology,
        Ray enjoys traveling and adventures.

        Follow Ray on Twitter @saturnism (https://twitter.com/saturnism)

--
Jason Lee