[OKC JUG] [OKCJUG] 09/12/2017 Meeting: Reactive Streams

techlahoma at gmail.com techlahoma at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 22:00:06 PDT 2017

When: 09/12/2017 11:30 am
Where: StarSpace 46 1141 W Sheridan Ave Oklahoma City, OK

Ever read bytes from a file, packets from a network socket, records from a
database, or messages from a message queue and run into problems with I/O
blocking, throttling, or resource management? Find yourself writing more
boilerplate code than business logic to stream data? In a world where
operations are asynchronous, data is "live", and transactions per second
are measured by the millions, streaming data has never been more important.
Enter Reactive Streams. Reactive Streams is an initiative to provide a
standard for asynchronous stream processing with non-blocking back
pressure. In this talk, I'll introduce the "What's" and "Why's" of Reactive
Streams and give demonstrations using akka-streams on the JVM.

Bio: Jordan is a software engineer at Oseberg and leads the Data Platform
team. He founded OKC-FP, a user-group focused on functional programming.
He's been a professional programmer for 13 years and has worked on
firmware, desktop, web, and enterprise systems. His latest focus is
distributed data processing and functional programmin

Please go to Meetup and sign up so we will have a count for the food.
https://www.meetup.com/okcjug/events/243041309/