[OKC JUG] [OKCJUG] Meeting: Reactive Programming Applying Duality: The Lost Art of Denotational Semantics

Techlahoma Foundation techlahoma at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 22:00:09 PDT 2019

When: 11:30 am
Where: StarSpace 46 1141 W Sheridan Ave Oklahoma City, OK

The phrase Denotational Semantics is an academic term for mapping programs
to mathematical objects as a way to define their meanings. This phrase is
not well-known in industry but we use it here to make it clear that this
presentation is a shamelss rip off of a talk by Erik Meijer of a similar
title. Erik Meijer, the founder of Applied Duality, is often cited as the
inventor of 'reactive', a group of frameworks which have shown up in almost
every programming language. The universal applicability of Meijer's initial
reactive framework is attributed by Meijer to long-established mathematical
principles such as currying, duality, and coproducts. With these few simple
constructions we can understand a wide variety of interfaces in a deeper
way. As a practical example, we will cover Meijer's derivation of
Observable/Observer interfaces as duals of Iterable/Iterator interfaces.
The takeaway is that every developer can apply denotational semantics to
better design and implement common programs.

Speaker: Justin Thomas
Justin is an awesome, funny Math guy who's became a Java prodigy in the
last 5 years - switching from academia to the software industry. He holds a
PhD in Mathematics from Northwestern University, and works at PCI as a
Senior Principal Developer. He's got a passion for system architecture and
super-clean well-structured code.

Please go to Meetup and sign up so we will have a count for the food.
https://www.meetup.com/okcjug/events/260243783/