[OKC JUG] [OKCJUG] Meeting: Microservices with Micronaut

Techlahoma Foundation techlahoma at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 22:00:03 PST 2019

When: 11:30 am
Where: StarSpace 46 1141 W Sheridan Ave Oklahoma City, OK

As microservices have exploded on to the scene, so have microservice
frameworks. In the JVM world, we have a myriad of options. In an already
crowded space, though, a new framework has appeared that is extremely
promising. Micronaut is a polyglot microservice framework from the
inventors of the Grails framework, supporting Java, Kotlin, and Groovy out
of the box. Micronaut ships with support for a wide number of capabilities,
including dependency injection, aspect oriented programming, object
relational mapping (via JPA or GORM), cloud native features (Consul,
Eureka, Kubernetes, AWS, and others), serverless/functions-as-a-service,
and many more. It even comes with a testing framework.

In this presentation, we'll see how to get started using Micronaut using a
small subset of those features as we build a simple REST service.
We'll use JPA for persistence, and secure the application using JSON Web
Tokens, all fully tested. At the end of the session, we'll have a solid
foundation for building microservices using this new offering.

Speaker: Jason Lee
Jason Lee is a Senior Member of the Technical Staff for Oracle working on
the GlassFish Administration Console as well as the RESTful Administration
interface. Jason has extensive experience working with web-based
technologies such as JavaServer Faces and Ajax, as well as many other
enterprise technologies based on the GlassFish platform.

Jason has been writing software professionally since 1997 in a wide variety
of languages and environments, including Java, PHP, C/C++, and Delphi on
both Linux/Unix and Windows. You can read more about what Jason’s working
on at his blog.

Most importantly, Jason is married to a beautiful woman and has two sons
who, thankfully, look like their mother.

Please go to Meetup and sign up so we will have a count for the food.
https://www.meetup.com/okcjug/events/259517348/