[Steering Committee] October Meeting

Jason Lee jason at steeplesoft.com
Fri Sep 9 07:41:34 PDT 2022

I know we haven't even had September's meeting yet, but I have a
possibility for October. A friend of mine will be in the States for
JavaOne and is trying to hit some local JUGs. He sent me an email with
some dates, and I've been slow to respond, so the only one left is
October 14, which is a Friday. I've included the abstract and bio below

*Ryan*, is the...event room (?) available at Starspace then? Should I
contact Clevyr to see if they could host?

I'd love to be able to have him present this. He gave this at Devnexus,
and while I didn't attend this session, I did get to talk to the Azul
contingent at their booth, and this looks awesome. Would be a good one
to share with the local Java peeps.

I am still trying to work out a time for Bruno Souza, from Brazil, but I
haven't heard any more from since my last email to this group. If that
works out, we may have *two* meetings in October, but I'm ok with that,
assuming we can work out the logistics.

Anyone have any thoughts to share?

*Title:*
What the CRaC - Superfast JVM startup

*Abstract:**
*In a world where microservices are more and more a standard
architecture for Java based applications running in the cloud, the JVM
warmup time can become a limitation. Especially when you look at
spinning up new instances of an app as response to changes in load, the
warmup time can be a problem. Native images are one solution to solve
these problems because their statically ahead of time compiled code
simply doesn’t have to warmup and so has short startup time. But even
with the shorter startup time and smaller footprint it doesn’t come
without a drawback. The overall performance might be slower because of
the missing JIT optimizations at runtime. There is a new OpenJDK project
called CRaC (Coordinated Restore at Checkpoint) which goal it is to
address the JVM warmup problem with a different approach. The idea is to
take a snapshot of the running JVM, store it in files and restore the
JVM at a later point in time (or even on another machine).
This session will give you a short overview of the CRaC project and
shows some results from a proof of concept implementation.

*Bio:**
*Gerrit Grunwald is a software engineer that loves coding for around 40
years already. He is a true believer in open source and has participated
in popular projects like JFXtras.org as well as his own projects
(TilesFX, Medusa, Enzo, SteelSeries Swing, SteelSeries Canvas, JDKMon).
Gerrit blogs regularly at harmonic-code.org, he is an active member of
the Java community, where he founded and leads the Java User Group
Münster (Germany), he is a JavaOne rockstar and a Java Champion. He is a
speaker at conferences and user groups internationally and writes for
several magazines.

--
Jason Lee
OKC JUG President